Canine Good Citizen (CGC) is a certification program developed by the American Kennel Club (AKC) that is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The CGC Program is open to mixed breed and purebred dogs, and stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs.
This 6 week class will prepare human and canine students for the optional Canine Good Citizen test. (Please note that testing is not included in the class and must be registered for separately.) Class covers in detail each of the 10 items included on the CGC test:
- Accepting a friendly stranger
- Sitting politely for petting
- Appearance and grooming
- Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead)
- Walking through a crowd
- Sit and down on command and Staying in place
- Coming when called
- Reaction to another dog
- Reaction to distraction
- Supervised separation
Frequency & Duration: 1 hour per week for 6 weeks. Dogs come to all 6 weeks.
Fee: $150 per dog
Class includes: CGC Participant's Handbook, homework, and Certificate of Completion
Dogs must be at least 1 year old to join this class and completed Level 1 training course. Dogs must be able to be handled gently by a friendly stranger and be able work around people and other dogs on leash with no reactivity.
Class capacity: 8 adult dogs maximum.
Please familiarize yourself with our cancellation and transfer policies prior to signing up. Review the Dog Training Class Policies.
- Canine Good Citizen classes are held outdoors in our Green Play Yard.
- Canine Good Citizen class spots are available by pre-registration. Please register using the links below for future dates.
Mary S. Roberts Pet Adoption Center group training classes are not meant for:
- Dogs who have growled, snapped or bit a person.
- Dogs who have bitten other animals.
- Dogs who exhibit aggression or other behavioral issues.
No classess at this time - please check back